Friday 1 July 2011

The Myriadness Of Poetry.

Among all the various types of 'literary works', if I may call them so, the ones which I find the most hard to grasp and understand is the Poem. Poems are usually abstract and for me at least, have never really had the kind of attraction that a well written prose might have. I know I may be the exception among the norm, but very few poems really enamour me and shake me up.

But, recently, I came across a poem that made my whole perception of the literary form transform. And drastically so. Its beauty not only stunned me, the words and their inherent meaning played and frolicked in my mind and consciousness long after I had read it

This poem (which you can see below) had another impact on me. It transformed me into a curious traveller in the enchanting and the relatively unknown world of Poems. I started trawling and reading poems with a religious fervour and found interesting, strong and beautiful poems. So, I decided to put together a list of poems that make one laugh, cry and shout out in astonishment turn by turn. Presenting (background music).....





Poems That Change Your World


A top 5 list of poems that you dont want to miss. :)



1. Lets start with the one that began it all. The poem is called the 'Boast Of Quietness' by Jorge Luis Borge, an Argentinian writer, poet and essayist and it goes like this:



Boast Of Quietness
by Jorge Luis Borge

Writings of light assault the darkness, more prodigious than meteors.
The tall unknowable city takes over the countryside.
Sure of my life and death, I observe the ambitious and would like to
understand them.
Their day is greedy as a lariat in the air.
Their night is a rest from the rage within steel, quick to attack.
They speak of humanity.
My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of that same poverty.
They speak of homeland.
My homeland is the rhythm of a guitar, a few portraits, an old sword,
the willow grove's visible prayer as evening falls.
Time is living me.
More silent than my shadow, I pass through the loftily covetous multitude.
They are indispensable, singular, worthy of tomorrow.
My name is someone and anyone.
I walk slowly, like one who comes from so far away he doesn't expect to arrive.


This poem was the epigraph (and perhaps fittingly) of an enchanting book that I recently read 'The Inheritance Of Loss'. A lot has been said about the book. Good things and bad. But for me, the experience of reading it was completely different. I picked it up at a time when the world and its people seemed weary and frustating to me. I was tired. But after turning the last page, I was rejuvenated, satisfied and reaffirming my faith in the written word. According to me, the best books are the ones that charm you with your quietness and slowly and steadily grow on you, until they become a part of your psyche. There is an unparalled happiness and satisfaction that comes with such books. They remind you why you fell in love with books in the first place.

And 'Inheritance Of Loss' is the finest example of such books and such stories.




2. From the famous to the relatively unknown. This simple yet thought provoking poem is by Michel Creighton, a fifth grade teacher at the American International School who lives in New Delhi.



New Delhi Love Song.
by Micheal Creighton

Smog and dust mix with the air in New Delhi,
I buy jasmine for her hair in New Delhi.

People come from everywhere to the city,
I buy jasmine for her hair in New Delhi.

The finest things in life don't come without danger,
Eat the street food if you dare in New Delhi.

We push in line and fight all day for each rupee,
Can you remember what is fair in New Delhi?

There is nothing you can't find in our markets,
Socks and dreams sell by the pair in New Delhi.

My friends ask me, Micheal why'd you leave your own country?
I found jasmine for her hair here in New Delhi.


I found this poem in a small column in the newspaper and I immedately cut it out. This poem in simple words, without too much fanfare and big words, describes the essence of Delhi like no one has before. It is not pretentious, nor does it continually harp about the cultural diversity and richness that makes Delhi the city it is. It quietly brings forth the spirit and attitude which is the real treasure of the city. The poem grows on you, silently and steadily. Much like the city.

PS. Google the guy. His poetry is the stuff dreams are made of.




3. Many many years ago, one March day, in San Francisco, Califronia, a boy was born to a journalist father in a Scottish family. The boy would go on to become one of the greatest poets the world has ever seen, winning four Pulitzer Prizes for Poetry and forever etching his name in the hearts of million of poetry lovers all over the world. The boy was Robert Frost.



The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.       

Possibly the most inspiring poem ever created, this poem is a favorite with almost everyone. I have often wondered what is it about this poem that it appeals to the common man on the road and was simultaneously also the faviurite poem of someone like Jawaharlal Nehru? And then I realise that it deals with a thing that all of us have to face at some point of time in our lives. The problem of choices. All of us are confused as to which path to take? The comfortable, well trodden path where the destination is known or the less travelled, unexplored path where adventure and hardships await? We all ask ourselves this question some time or the other in our life. It takes a Robert Frost to put it so beautifully.





4. Everyone has a 'favourite' poem. You know, the one which you remember by heart. Which you turn to when you are sad or despondent. Which you know will always have a special place in your heart, however old or wise or learned you may become. This poem by Maya Angelou is the 'favourite' poem for me.

Phenomenal Woman
by Maya Angelou


Pretty women wonder where my secret lies

I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them 
They think I'm telling lies. 
I say, 
It's in the reach of my arms 
The span of my hips, 
The stride of my step, 
The curl of my lips. 
I'm a woman 
Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman, 
That's me.


I walk into a room 

Just as cool as you please, 
And to a man, 
The fellows stand or 
Fall down on their knees. 
Then they swarm around me, 
A hive of honey bees. 
I say, 
It's the fire in my eyes 
And the flash of my teeth, 
The swing of my waist, 
And the joy in my feet. 
I'm a woman 
Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman, 
That's me.


Men themselves have wondered 

What they see in me. 
They try so much 
But they can't touch 
My inner mystery. 
When I try to show them, 
They say they still can't see. 
I say 
It's in the arch of my back, 
The sun of my smile, 
The ride of my breasts, 
The grace of my style. 
I'm a woman 
Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman, 
That's me.


Now you understand 

Just why my head's not bowed. 
I don't shout or jump about 
Or have to talk real loud. 
When you see me passing 
It ought to make you proud. 
I say, 
It's in the click of my heels, 
The bend of my hair, 
The palm of my hand, 
The need of my care, 
'Cause I'm a woman 
Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman, 
That's me.





According to me, there are two types of poems. One which you admire for its form, its beauty, its meaning and its perception. The other which other than admiration generates a feeling of reverence in you. You wish you had written the poem. That you were the entity behind those words, behind those feelings. You identify so much with the poem and what it says, that you experience sheer delight in its every word, in its every line and in its every para.

As a newly converted poetry fan, I admire this poem. As someone who understandes the social context during the time this poem was written, I appreciate the poem. But as a woman, and a proud one at that, I simply love the poem.




5. As a child everyone has a 'Childhood Idol'. That one person who you look upto and dream of meeting and want to be like. Childhood Idols usually reflect the personality of the person. If you are crazy about cricket, you would also be in all probability crazy about Sachin Tendulkar and consider him the greatest man to walk on Earth. Similarly, as someone who loved books, my idol was - and still is- Ruskin Bond.

I loved -and still love- everything about him. His writing, his optimism, his gentleness. And as it turns out also his poems. :)

I glanced upon this one in one of his works of fiction. And it reaffirmed my belief that Ruskin Bond is one of  the greatest writers to have graced the world.



Untitled
by Ruskin Bond

Little one, don't be afraid of this big river.
Be safe in these warm arms for ever.
Grow tall, my child, be wise and strong.
But do not take from any man his song.

Little one, don't be afraid of this dark night.
Walk boldly as you see the truth and light.
Love well, my child, laugh all day long.
But do not take from any man his song.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS A lot has happened over the days that this post was written. Perceptions changing. Soul searching. Decision making. And somehow reading all these poems through all that turmoil calmed me. It was like these poems were giving me advice, telling me it will all be alright.

And guess what?
It all is now. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment